GBA Development on a Mac

In my media devices ar­chi­tec­ture class, we are developing on the GBA. Un­for­tu­nate­ly, most of the students are developing on windows machines, which leaves me and a few others the odd men out. On macs, we're using devkitarm as our compiler with a provided makefile. Un­for­tu­nate­ly, the Makefile had a few flags mis­con­fig­ured.

The stock makefile worked perfectly until we started dealing with sound. The problem was two fold:

  1. Setting the interrupt handler would cause the GBA to reset
  2. Sound files larger than thirty seconds would overflow the ewram

There were two macros in the make file that were used for compiling and linking re­spec­tive­ly:

MODEL = -mthumb -mthumb-interwork
SPECS = -specs=gba_mb.specs

The continue.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard Port Wine

Currently, wine is not happy with my 64bit upgrade to Snow Leopard. Just for the record, I find no fault in either port or wine for this, because I was an early adopter. I upgraded port with a simple reinstall. (I know there are more elegant solutions than this, but I was being lazy.) After upgrading port, installing wine resulted in the following error:

Error: wine 1.0.1 is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 or later. Until wine 1.2 is released, please install wine-devel instead.

This is pretty straight­for­ward. Obviously, the next step was "port install wine-devel". However, I was promptly stopped with another error in continue.